Moving Safety Tips
Preparing Household Items
To guard your household goods against damage that could be caused by fire, explosion or leakage in the van:
- Dispose of flammables such as fireworks, cleaning fluids, matches, acids, chemistry sets, aerosol cans, ammunition, etc.
- Drain fuel from your power mower and other machinery, and discard partly used cans of oil, paint, thinner, or any other substances that may leak.
- Carefully tape and place in individual waterproof bags any jars of liquid you plan to take with you, such as prescription medication.
- Refillable tanks must be purged and sealed by a local propane gas dealer. Discard non-refillable propane tanks, which are used for barbeque grills.
- Have rugs and draperies cleaned. Leave both wrapped when they return from the cleaners.
- Obtain a written appraisal of antique items to verify the value. Avoid waxing or oiling wooden antiques (and fine wood furniture) before moving because some products may soften the wood, making it vulnerable to imprinting from furniture pads.
- Third party servicing will likely be needed before moving such items as hot tubs, large-screen televisions, and some exercise equipment. Talk to your moving company about PRE and POST move servicing of your washer, dryer, grandfather clock, satellite dish, waterbed, etc.
- Think twice about dismantling your outside TV antenna for moving; a new one may cost less than moving the present one.
Please call our office with any questions!